Cuban man’s death at El Paso tent camp was result of “spontaneous use of force,” ICE saysby Lomi Kriel and Colleen DeGuzman, The Texas Tribune February 20, 2026ImmigrationCuban man’s death at El Paso tent camp was result of “spontaneous use of force,” ICE saysby Lomi Kriel and Colleen DeGuzman, The Texas Tribune February 20, 2026Immigration

ICE changes story and admits detainee died of 'spontaneous use of force'

2026/02/21 10:57
6 min read

Cuban man’s death at El Paso tent camp was result of “spontaneous use of force,” ICE says

by Lomi Kriel and Colleen DeGuzman, The Texas Tribune
February 20, 2026

Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials this week reported that the death of a 55-year-old Cuban man at a detention facility in El Paso was the result of the staff’s “spontaneous use of force” to “prevent him from harming himself.” Officials quietly updated the cause of death after previously declaring last month that the man died of “medical distress.”

The finding comes weeks after the local medical examiner ruled Geraldo Lunas Campos’ death a homicide, the first such ruling for an ICE detainee’s death linked to staff in at least 15 years, according to experts. Lunas Campos became “unresponsive while being physically restrained by law enforcement,” his autopsy found, dying of asphyxia, meaning he couldn’t breathe because of pressure on his neck and chest.

In ICE’s report this week, investigators wrote that Lunas Campos, who was being detained at Camp East Montana on the Fort Bliss U.S. Army base, had a “complex medical and mental health history,” including prior treatment for tuberculosis, depression, anxiety and asthma, as well as a history of suicide attempts and “long-term psychotropic medication use.”

ICE officials wrote in that report that while detained at Camp East Montana, Lunas Campos received “regular” medical evaluations, with staff noting “episodes of significant psychological distress, including multiple incidents of self-harm and suicide watch placements.”

Six El Paso detainees described in federal court statements last month that Lunas Campos, a father of three who had lived in the U.S. for nearly 20 years before being arrested last year, begged for days to receive his asthma medication. Detention staff refused and threatened him with solitary confinement, inmates said in the court filings.

On Jan. 3, ICE officials said Lunas Campos “attempted self-harm, prompting a rapid response from custody and medical staff.” The report noted “attempts to de-escalate the situation were unsuccessful.” He was pronounced dead at 10:16 p.m.

The finding is a stark contrast to the initial ICE news release claiming Lunas Campos died from “medical distress.” Only after the medical examiner advised his family that it might be a homicide did ICE officials allege a suicide attempt.

In a statement to The Texas Tribune Friday afternoon, a Department of Homeland Security spokesperson who did not give their name defended the report, claiming that Lunas Campos “violently resisted the security staff and continued to attempt to take his life.”

During the ensuing struggle, the spokesperson wrote, Campos “stopped breathing and lost consciousness.” Medical staff was immediately called, but after repeated attempts to resuscitate him, he was declared dead.

Lunas Campos’ death “is still an active investigation, and more details are forthcoming,” the spokesperson said.

"This is the best healthcare that many aliens have received in their entire lives,” the spokesperson added. “No lawbreakers in the history of human civilization have been treated better than illegal aliens in the United States. Get a grip."

Federal prosecutors did not immediately respond to requests for comment late Friday on whether ICE’s determination would prompt criminal charges.

Experts said that state prosecutors have precedent to pursue such charges despite the death occurring on military property, which is under federal jurisdiction.

“This is a moment where we need local law enforcement, local prosecutors to create accountability, because the federal government will not,” said U.S. Rep. Veronica Escobar, an El Paso Democrat who has visited the Fort Bliss camp more than half a dozen times.

She said that she believes local prosecutors have jurisdiction to prosecute the case although it happened on federal property because the staffers involved appear not to be ICE employees, but contractors.

“From what I understand, these are civilians. They're not law enforcement,” Escobar said in a recent interview. “They do not have the immunity the way that federal, state or local law enforcement officials have.”

Andra Litton, a special projects administrator for the El Paso District Attorney’s office, wrote in an email that the office continues to research whether it has jurisdiction to pursue charges, which she said is based on “the physical location of the facility, not the status or nature of employees involved.”

Camp East Montana was constructed in a record two months last summer after the government granted a $1.2 billion contract to Acquisition Logistics, a small Virginia corporation with no listed experience running detention facilities. The tent camp has been plagued with problems since it opened.

Since mid-December, three people have died there in a six-week span, beginning with a 48-year-old Guatemalan, Francisco Gaspar-Andres, who ICE said died on Dec. 3 of liver and kidney failure after being hospitalized for more than two weeks following detention. Eleven days after Lunas Campos’ death, 36-year-old Victor Manuel Diaz marked the facility’s third fatality. ICE sent Diaz to a U.S. Army hospital rather than the local medical examiner, where a military spokesperson said that the agency would not make his autopsy public.

The East Montana camp had no policy detailing when or how contractors can use force, two officials who viewed an investigative report conducted by ICE last fall or were briefed by the agency told The Texas Tribune. Contractors were also provided only 40 hours of training, a fraction of at least 42 days typically required of regular ICE agents, according to those officials, who were not authorized to speak publicly.

Acquisition Logistics and two of its contractors in charge of detention and medical care either did not immediately respond to questions late Friday or could not be reached.

The federal government tried to deport the six detainees who witnessed the final moments of Lunas Campos, who had long–standing previous criminal convictions including child sex assault. A federal judge in Texas blocked their removal until after they testified to lawyers who have filed a civil suit against the government in his death.

The whereabouts of those witnesses are currently unclear, said Chris Benoit, an attorney representing Lunas Campos’ three children.

In their federal testimony, detainees told lawyers that after pleading for his asthma medication, guards dragged Lunas Campos in shackles to an isolation unit. They recalled “what sounded like the slamming of a person’s body against the floor or a wall.” They said they heard him gasp that he could no longer breathe. Then, “silence.”

Fatalities in ICE custody are typically the result of poor medical care or suicides, said Scott Shuchart, a former head of policy at ICE under Biden and senior adviser under Trump’s first term to DHS’ Office of Civil Rights and Civil Liberties.

“Deaths from staff violence are another level,” he said, calling them “preventable, and the result of training and supervision failures."

This article first appeared on The Texas Tribune.

Market Opportunity
Notcoin Logo
Notcoin Price(NOT)
$0.0003884
$0.0003884$0.0003884
+1.46%
USD
Notcoin (NOT) Live Price Chart
Disclaimer: The articles reposted on this site are sourced from public platforms and are provided for informational purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the views of MEXC. All rights remain with the original authors. If you believe any content infringes on third-party rights, please contact service@support.mexc.com for removal. MEXC makes no guarantees regarding the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of the content and is not responsible for any actions taken based on the information provided. The content does not constitute financial, legal, or other professional advice, nor should it be considered a recommendation or endorsement by MEXC.

You May Also Like

Japan-Based Bitcoin Treasury Company Metaplanet Completes $1.4 Billion IPO! Will It Buy Bitcoin? Here Are the Details

Japan-Based Bitcoin Treasury Company Metaplanet Completes $1.4 Billion IPO! Will It Buy Bitcoin? Here Are the Details

The post Japan-Based Bitcoin Treasury Company Metaplanet Completes $1.4 Billion IPO! Will It Buy Bitcoin? Here Are the Details appeared on BitcoinEthereumNews.com. Japan-based Bitcoin treasury company Metaplanet announced today that it has successfully completed its public offering process. Metaplanet Grows Bitcoin Treasury with $1.4 Billion IPO The company’s CEO, Simon Gerovich, stated in a post on the X platform that a large number of institutional investors participated in the process. Among the investors, mutual funds, sovereign wealth funds, and hedge funds were notable. According to Gerovich, approximately 100 institutional investors participated in roadshows held prior to the IPO. Ultimately, over 70 investors participated in Metaplanet’s capital raising. Previously disclosed information indicated that the company had raised approximately $1.4 billion through the IPO. This funding will accelerate Metaplanet’s growth plans and, in particular, allow the company to increase its balance sheet Bitcoin holdings. Gerovich emphasized that this step will propel Metaplanet to its next stage of development and strengthen the company’s global Bitcoin strategy. Metaplanet has recently become one of the leading companies in Japan in promoting digital asset adoption. The company has previously stated that it views Bitcoin as a long-term store of value. This large-scale IPO is considered a significant step in not only strengthening Metaplanet’s capital but also consolidating Japan’s role in the global crypto finance market. *This is not investment advice. Follow our Telegram and Twitter account now for exclusive news, analytics and on-chain data! Source: https://en.bitcoinsistemi.com/japan-based-bitcoin-treasury-company-metaplanet-completes-1-4-billion-ipo-will-it-buy-bitcoin-here-are-the-details/
Share
BitcoinEthereumNews2025/09/18 08:42
Synthetix Launches Perpetual DEX with $1M Trading Competition

Synthetix Launches Perpetual DEX with $1M Trading Competition

The post Synthetix Launches Perpetual DEX with $1M Trading Competition appeared on BitcoinEthereumNews.com. Key Points: Synthetix launches Perp DEX with $1 million trading contest. Competition aims to stress-test new platform. Top traders are invited to participate with several rewards. Synthetix is set to launch its perpetual decentralized exchange (Perp DEX) on the Ethereum mainnet in Q4 2025, accompanied by a $1 million trading competition. The launch could boost Ethereum liquidity, attract top DeFi traders, and potentially increase the price volatility of involved tokens, including SNX and ETH. Synthetix Unveils $1M Trading Contest on Ethereum Mainnet The trading contest will attract top DeFi traders, with rewards funded by Synthetix’s treasury. Provisions for multi-collateral support will enhance the platform’s appeal, potentially increasing SNX token activity. Market response has been largely positive, particularly among developers and users on public platforms such as GitHub and Discord. Ethereum (ETH) is currently priced at $4,209.15 with a market cap of $508.06 billion. It holds 13.00% market dominance. CoinMarketCap data indicates a 0.21% price increase over 24 hours, despite a 10.54% drop in trading volume. “Synthetix is building the first high-performance perp to settle directly on Ethereum Mainnet, without the need for bridges or intermediaries. Synthetix mainnet features fast execution, low latency, and on-chain custody that leverages Ethereum’s robust security and liquidity.” – Kain Warwick, Founder, Synthetix Hybrid Model May Boost Institutional Interest in DeFi Did you know? Synthetix’s move to Ethereum Mainnet is a return to its roots, offering direct settlement without intermediaries, paralleling early on-chain derivatives attempts. The Coincu research team highlights that the hybrid model may foster institutional adoption by reducing gas costs. The competition could lead to increased SNX volatility and drive Ether-denominated TVL growth on the mainnet. Ethereum(ETH), daily chart, screenshot on CoinMarketCap at 08:35 UTC on September 23, 2025. Source: CoinMarketCap The competition could lead to increased SNX volatility and drive Ether-denominated TVL growth…
Share
BitcoinEthereumNews2025/09/23 16:45
MATIC Price Prediction: Polygon Targets $0.45-$0.52 Recovery Within 4-6 Weeks Despite Current Bearish Momentum

MATIC Price Prediction: Polygon Targets $0.45-$0.52 Recovery Within 4-6 Weeks Despite Current Bearish Momentum

MATIC price prediction shows potential 18-39% upside to $0.45-$0.52 range if bulls break $0.58 resistance, though current technical indicators signal neutral to
Share
BlockChain News2026/02/21 12:43